Thursday, May 26, 2011

“On the motionless branches of some trees, autumn berries hung like clusters of coral beads, as in those fabled orchards where the fruits were jewels . . .” - Charles Dickens

I borrowed this recipe from my ΒΣΦ sisters, but it is delicious. Although I left out the marshmallows because I thought they were just weird. Crazy Americans.

But there you go...

UPSIDE-DOWN BERRY CAKE.
INGREDIENTS. - 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, halved
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows (what the ?????)
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1-1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons canola oil


METHOD. - In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the walnuts and berries; sprinkle with sugar, gelatin and marshmallows (if you feel like adding the marshmallows. I found the cake was plenty sweet enough without them).
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour over top.
Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
Refrigerate leftovers.
SERVES 15 servings.

IMAG0371
IMAG0373

4 comments:

50sgal said...

we Americans Do like our marshmallows, don't we. The funniest (well one of the funniest) is a common Thanksgiving dish of Sweet potato/yams with marshmallows. We'll put them on anything!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yes we do love them. And I make the yams with marshmallows and brown sugar and make sure I sit next to them! looks pretty good even without the marshmallows!

Packrat said...

That's funny, because I'm not a marshmallow fan. I like them burned (literally) over a camp fire. I like fudge made with marshmallow creme. I must not be very American, because I don't even like Rice Crispy bars.

The cake sounds delicious without the marshmallows. Thanks for sharing this with us.

abdul said...

Mouth watering delicious foods are here.. wow!!!