Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I scream, you scream, we all scream for rice ... pudding.

Rice pudding seems like comfort food to me.

Even though I couldn't tell you one instance where I had it as a child at a particularly trying time or anything.
But it seems like the thing to have.

I did however eat rice cream, which comes in a can, which is effectively what rice pudding is anyway.

30/07/2009

This is not the exact recipe in the book because the book has a baked rice pudding and we all know how well I manage baked custards.

It's also a pretty good way to use up any left over rice you may have. Waste not, want not...and all that jazz.

RICE PUDDING

INGREDIENTS. - Rice (cooked)
1 egg yolk
1/2 a pint of milk
sugar
vanilla essence

METHOD. - Warm the milk and rice together. Do not let the milk boil. Allow to cool a little.
Add beaten egg yolk gradually, stirring to avoid curdling.
Heat on low flame until thick.
Add sugar and vanilla essence to taste.

TIME. - 15 minutes. SUFFICIENT for 2 persons.

Obviously if you have more rice you can add more milk and egg yolks and make more rice pudding which is effectively just vanilla custard with rice in it... go figure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That sounds SO DELICIOUS

I have also had it with rose essence which some people don't like but that I find to be one of the most delicious tastes ever!

weenie_elise said...

rose essence would make it like turkish delight... sound fab!

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight with the vanilla and brown sugar and it's delicious!!!

Packrat said...

Sounds yummy. I love rice pudding. Also, have you had rice, milk, raisins, sugar, and cinnamon? That is one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

yum! You should try it baked, its delicious and the top goes crispy and brown (^-^)

Michael