Monday, December 29, 2008

Cowardly custard? Never!

Remember how I made the coffee custard and it was a disaster... a tasty disaster but a disaster no less...

So it was with some trepidation that I approached making the custard for my trifle.

However, all my fears were for nothing. Never again shall I fear the custard pot. Never again shall I be ashamed to show my face in the custard halls of fame...for I got it! I finally got it!

Admittedly this was a boiled custard not a baked custard like last time, but I think it was a success!

VANILLA CUSTARD

INGREDIENTS - Vanilla essence
2 eggs
1 pint of milk
1 oz. of sugar

METHOD - Bring the milk nearly to boiling-point, pour over the eggs and sugar previously beaten, stirring meanwhile, return to the stewpan and stir by the side of the fire until the mixture thickens. Considerable care is needed to cook custaqrd in this manner without curdling it, and anyone inexperienced should, instead of replacing the preparation in the stewpan, pour it into a jug or double saucepan, place whichever is used in a saucepan of boiling water,, and stir until the custard coats the spoon. Add the vanilla essence and allow to cool.

TIME - From 35 to 45 minutes. SUFFICIENT for 1 pint.

No comments: