Monday, December 8, 2008

Why don't you just stock me?

well, post my roast chicken fantastico, I had a chicken carcass that just begged to be stocked...
So I did.

Two and a half hours later I have 3 litres of chicken stock suitable for making white soups with.

And yes, my kitchen setup looked exactly like this as well.
BONE STOCK.
Any kind of bones, cooked or uncooked, may be used to make bone stock. Put them in a small stewpan or small stock-pot, add enough water to well cover, and bring to the boil. Skim, add a peeled onion, a carrot and a bay leaf (I also added 1 stick of celery and some peppercorns), simmer for about2 or 3 hours. Season to taste with salt. This stock may be used in place of water for making gravy, soups and sauces.
All frozen into handy 500ml containers for whenever I need 2 cups of chicken stock

2 comments:

atomicliving said...

good going, can u imagine mrs. Beeton even wondering at the thought of 'freezing stock'? She'd probably assume u meant the cows were too cold ;)

weenie_elise said...

You are supposed to boil any unused stock everyday in hot weather or every other day during the cold...although considering every dinner would have had a soup course, it probably wouldn't have lasted that long